Monday, July 14, 2008

Venezuelan Mendoza crowned Miss Universe


NHA TRANG CITY, Vietnam (Reuters) - Miss Venezuela, Dayana Mendoza, was crowned Miss Universe 2008 in Vietnam's resort city of Nha Trang on Monday.
The 22-year-old brunette was given her crown, made of white and yellow gold and precious stones, by last year's winner, Riyo Mori of Japan, at the pageant finale watched by nearly a billion television viewers worldwide.
"I am excited. I cried a lot. I am really glad I made it," Mendoza, the 57th winner of the title, later told reporters.
The professional model has said her "express kidnapping" in Venezuela a year and a half ago taught her to remain calm in stressful situations.
"It is something that happens in my country and that's why I want to raise my voice and say violence is not the answer," she said when asked about the incident.
Mendoza, an aspiring interior designer, was among four finalists from Latin America, including first runner-up Taliana Vargas, 20, from Colombia.
The rest of the top five were from the Dominican Republic, Mexico and Russia.
This year's event went more smoothly than the 2007 pageant in Mexico, which was marked by protests, a banned dress and the withdrawal of Miss Sweden after critics at home complained the contest degraded women. Continued...

No comments: